The Iranian History 1950 AD

 


Iranian President Of UN General Assembly

Jan, 1, 1950 AD

The Iranian delegation to the ICJ defending against Britain: Prime Minister Mosaddegh looking at Nasrollah Entezam, Ambassador, former Minister and the only Iranian to have served as President of the UN General Assembly.(Wikipedia) - Nasrollah Entezam was an Iranian diplomat who held the position of the President of the United Nations General Assembly during the fifth session, from January 1, 1950 – January 1, 1951. Entezam was the leader of the Iranian delegation at UN and had been the permanent representative of Iran to the United Nations since 1947.
Born in Tehran in 1900, he graduated in law and political science at the Universities of Tehran and Paris and began his career in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1918.
Between 1926 and 1929, he was Secretary to the Iranian Legations in Paris, Warsaw, and London. He represented Iran at the London Economic Conference in 1933, and at the League of Nations; from 1934 to 1938 he was Chargé d'Affaires at Berne.
On his return to Iran, Mr. Entezam was Director of the Political Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 1942, he was appointed Grand Master of Ceremonies at the Imperial Palace, and the next year became Minister of Public Health. Subsequently, he held the positions of Minister of Posts and Telegraph, Minister of Communications, and, in 1944-45, Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Mr. Entezam represented his country at the San Francisco Conference in 1945 and at the first session of the General Assembly. He was a member of the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine in 1947. At the third session of the General Assembly, he was chairman of the Fourth (Trusteeship) Committee, and of the Special Committee on Methods and Procedures which the Assembly established at that session. At the fourth session, he served as chairman of the ad hoc Political Committee of the Assembly. He was also Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of his country to the United States.
Following the CIA-backed coup of August 1953, he was re-appointed ambassador to the United States and served until his replacement by the cabinet minister Ali Amini. In February 1958 Entezam was appointed ambassador to France, where he stayed until April 1962. In July 1962 he was appointed minister without portfolio in the cabinet of Asadollah Alam. He was elected chairman of the inaugural congress (30 April-2 May 1975) of the Rastakhiz Party as the single permissible party. Entezam retired from public office in the late 1960s but was continually serving Mohammad Reza Shah in one capacity or another.
Entezam was arrested in 1979 after the Islamic Revolution. He died on December 19, 1980 shortly after he was released. (Updated: Nov, 30, 2012)





Majlis Sixteenth Terms Begins

Feb, 9, 1950 AD

Tehran Majlis Pahlavi era late 1950s. American cars lined up in front of the Iranian parliament gate guarded by soldiers with two lions on top. The buiding with high Achaemenid columns and a clock that shows 7:25.The 16th Majlis term started on Feb, 9, 1950.
The sixteenth term was noisy, sawing the seeds of the Nationalization of Oil Industry. Britain filed a complaint with the International Court of Justice resulting in a restraining order preventing the Iranian government from measures it had already taken for transfer of oil industry to Iranians. The Iranian government called the verdict as invalid. The British closed their consular offices in Iran.
During this term, some important bills passed by Majlis were:
- Revoking of all press laws, except for 1908 law.
- Resolution for Nationalization of Oil Industry.
- Bill for construction of tap water and sewage system.
Majlis 16th term ended on Feb, 18, 1952. (Updated: Aug, 16, 2009)





Educating Doctors In Isfahan

Oct, 29, 1950 AD

1958 Isfahan's Shah Madrasa, a mosque which is used as a traditional school of theology./ Photograph from Qajar era(IUMS) - Isfahan University of Medical Sciences was established in 1946 and was known at the time as Isfahan Senior School of Medical Training.
After a 4-year course, students graduated as medical officers. Later, the school was relocated to a larger facility with a well-equipped laboratory.
In 1950, Isfahan Faculty of Medicine was given the permission to grant MD degrees after a 6-year course of medical training. On October 29, 1950, the first series of classes were held at the new campus, named University of Isfahan .The newly established school of Medicine at Saadi School and Literature College on Shahzadeh Ebrahim Street joined University of Isfahan were relocated at the main campus.
The former School of Medical Training was ultimately closed and the professors continued their teaching in the newly established Faculty of Medicine. Meanwhile, some of the qualified physicians in the city were invited to join the staff.
The School of Pharmacy was founded in 1955 and shared the buildings and laboratories of the Faculty of Medicine which were scattered around the city.
The school of Pharmacy became independent in 1958 and the Faculty of Literature was established in the same year.
With the addition of the Faculty of Literature to the two previously founded faculties, the University of Isfahan was founded and the first chancellor was appointed on December 20 of the same year.
In 1955 the Faculty of Medicine was permitted to establish the Faculty of pharmacy which could only train students up to the Bachelor's degree.
In 1962, the secretariat of the University of Isfahan was closed and the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences rejoined the School of Medicine, hence the students had to continue their education in Tehran Faculty of Pharmacy.
In the same year, the Faculties of Medicine and Literature were put under the control of the Local Office of Higher Education.
In 1967, the government passed a legislation which facilitated the formation of the Board of Trustees.
The University began a new era in its history with the building of a modern campus in the Hezar Jerib District.
Courses of medicine for physicians willing to specialize were first introduced in 1967.
In the academic year 1968-1969, two higher education units, the Faculty of Pharmacy and the Nursing School were established and bachelor's degrees in laboratory sciences were offered for the first time at the University of Isfahan.
Private University Clinics were established in Amin, Khorshid and Kashani Hospitals in the same year.
In 1972, the 4-year course of pharmacy was altered to a 6-year doctorate program in pharmacy and the faculty was renamed as the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences under the supervision of the Ministry of Higher Education.
At present, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences includes seven faculties, namely the faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health, Nursing and Midwifery, Management and Medical Information, and Rehabilitation Sciences. A variety of training programs are offered in these faculties including subspecialty, fellowship, specialty, professional doctorate, PhD, Master's, Bachelor's, and junior college education courses.
Isfahan University of Medical Sciences runs nine research centers, namely Cardiovascular Research Center, Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center, Tropical and Infectious Diseases Research Center, Leishmaniasis and Dermatology Research Center, Behavioral Sciences Research Center, Dentistry Research Center, Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Medical Education Research Center, and Applied Physiology Research Center.
The University currently has 20,000 non-academic employees, as well as 645 academic teaching staff responsible for 5,500 students. Nearly 90 foreign students - mostly from Muslim countries - are studying at Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. The University has eight teaching hospitals with nearly 2000 beds, as well as 24 hospitals throughout Isfahan Province.
Following the development of a nationwide health network and the integration of health services provision and medical education in Iran in 1985, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences was renamed to Isfahan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. (Updated: Sep, 21, 2012)





Majlis Rejects AIOC Agreement

Nov, 25, 1950 AD

Ayatollah Kashani visits Dr.Mosaddegh. Kashani's Islamic scholars, as well as the Toodeh Party, proved to be two of Mosaddegh's key political allies, although relations with both were often strained.Majlis unanimously rejected the Supplemental Agreement by AIOC as inadequate on Nov, 25, 1950. AIOC was a symbol of western imperialism and political groups on the right and left saw it as their largest barrier to sovereignty and prosperity, and in 1949 Mosaddegh, a member of the Majlis at the time, was the driving force behind the creation of an anti-AIOC coalition called the National Front. The Front demanded a new arrangement between the Iranians and the British-owned oil company because it was exploiting Iranian resources and taking huge profits out of the country. In 1950, the AIOC earned profits in the range of 200 million pounds but Iran received only about 8 percent of that total in royalties. Indeed, the company''s profits in that year alone exceeded the profits paid to Iran over the previous fifty years. Iran, in fact, received less in royalties than they had to pay the British in taxes. In 1948, 1949, and 1950 Iran received 9, 13.5, and 16 million pounds in royalties, but paid 28, 23, and 50.5 million pounds in taxes. The British corporation did not even allow Iranian officials to examine their financial books and unilaterally determined the amounts of payments. In late 1949, the British made some minor concessions to Iran, in the so-called Supplemental Agreement, to raise royalty payments from 22 to 33 cents per barrel, but the Iranians were not impressed, particularly since the United States had just came to an arrangement with Saudi Arabia to provide for a fifty-fifty split on its oil.
In 1948 the company was presented with a list of 25 grievances or points for discussion which were later narrowed to three issues: higher royalty payments, lower prices for products sold on the domestic market and increased employment for Iranians. On 17 July 1949 a Supplemental Agreement was signed by AIOC and the Iranian government according to which royalty payments were to be increased, preference was to be given to the employment of Iranians and the prices of products sold in Iran for domestic consumption were to be reduced. The Supplemental Agreement was then submitted to the Majlis(the Iranian Parliament) in the form of a bill for enactment and ratification but the National Front leaded by Dr.Mohamed Mosaddegh fiercely opposed it. Consequently, in July 1949 Majlis adjourned without passing it. In the following months the Majlis would appoint an Oil Committee headed by Mosaddegh. When the Majlis reconvened, the Supplemental Agreement was sent to the Oil Committee for study. In December 1950 the committee reported back that it did not favor the bill.
On 19 February 1951 Mosaddegh put a formal proposal that the oil industry be nationalized. The Oil Committee asked in turn Prime Minister Razmara’s views. Razmara referred the question to a panel of government experts and on 3 March 1951 reported back that the experts did not believe the proposal was either practical or legal. Four days later he was assassinated by a member of an extremist religious nationalist party. The following day, on 8 March 1951, the Oil Committee accepted the proposal that the oil industry be nationalized.
On 15 March 1951, a single article bill was passed in the Majlis approving the principle of nationalization. On 1 May 1951 a nine-article bill was passed providing for the implementation of the principle of nationalization. (Updated: Nov, 6, 2012)





Toodeh Party Founders Escape From Prison

Dec, 15, 1950 AD

Tehran Toopkhaneh/Sepah Square (Imam Khomeini Sq.)Aug, 1953. Toodeh Party Demonstrations destabilized the political power of the democratic government of Dr. Mohammad Mosaddegh leading to the coup that brought back the dictator (statue seen on the horse)A person in military suit presented himself as the representative of the military court at the Ghasr Prison and took away some of the high ranking members of the Toodeh communist party in a military vehicle with him. Toodeh had been banned since the terror attempt on the last Shah in 1948 and their founders arrested for conspiracy. Toodeh party is one of the oldest parties in Iran founded at the beginning of the 20th century after the Bolshevik revolution, however it's activities took place underground except some short periods. During the 1979 revolution, Toodeh participated actively in overthrowing the Shah and it continued it's activities for three years. But it was banned again and Dr. Kianouri, the same person escaping Ghasr Prison was arrested again. (Updated: Feb, 13, 2009)





English-Persian Glossary

Latest Additions to Iranian History Chronicle: