) - Iranian Canadian
Iranian Canadian ایرانیان کانادا
|Reza Moridi ||Amir Khadir ||Kaveh Farrokh ||Samantha Tajik |
|Amir Attaran ||Sherko Haji-Rasouli ||Nima Arkani-Hamed ||Ali Khademhosseini |
|163,290 (by ancestry, 2011 Census) |
Regions with significant populations
|Greater Toronto Area, Vancouver, Montreal |
|Canadian English, French, Persian, Azerbaijani, Kurdish and other languages of Iran |
|no religion, Islam, Bahá''í Faith, Christianity (Anglicanism and Catholicism), Judaism and Zoroastrian |
An Iranian Canadian is a Canadian citizen of Iranian national background or descent. Their numbers are estimated as 121,510 from the 2006 Canadian census and the main communities can be found in Southern Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec; the vast majority, however, live in the northern suburbs of Toronto such as Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Markham, and Thornhill, and in the municipalities of Vancouver such as: North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, and Coquitlam. An estimated total of 46,255 Iranians currently reside in the Greater Toronto Area, 29,265 in the Greater Vancouver Area, 9,535 in the Greater Montreal Area, and the remainder are spread out in the other major cities in Canada based on the 2006 Canadian Census.
However, these numbers only represent the people who immigrated from Iran and filled out the census survey. There are an estimated 50,000 more Iranians who did not fill out the survey and were born outside Iran including Canada. Estimated numbers for Toronto are around 65,000, in Vancouver they range up to 40,000 and in Montreal there are not more than 15,000.
- 1 A list of notable Canadians of Iranian descent
- 1.1 Academia
- 1.2 Art and literature
- 1.3 Beauty pageant
- 1.4 Business
- 1.5 Foundations
- 1.6 Crime
- 1.7 Journalism
- 1.8 Politicians
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
A list of notable Canadians of Iranian descentEditorial team of SHAHRVAND Weekly in Toronto which is the largest Persian newspaper in Canada.Academia"Persian Plaza" in Toronto''s Yonge Street (North York Section). 2014
- Kaveh Farrokh, historian
- Ramin Jahanbegloo, philosopher and university professor
- Ali Khademhosseini, Associate Professor of Medicine; Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology.
- Shahrzad Mojab, Professor of Leadership, Higher and Adult Education at the University of Toronto.
Art and literatureRelief sculpture with Persian Imperial Guardsman. 5th century BC. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto
- Jian Ghomeshi, member of Moxy Früvous, former host of CBC''s "play" Current host of "Q" on CBC Radio 1
- Pardis Parker, award-winning director, writer, actor, and comedian
- Nima Mazhari, painter, photographer and husband of ex-Olympic biathlete Myriam Bédard, convicted and sentenced in June 2007 for stealing paintings from the late painter Ghitta Caiserman
- Fariborz Lachini, music composer
- Sanaz Mazinani, photographer and curator
- Parviz Tanavoli, sculptor and painter
- Ramin Karimloo, West End Performer, playing the lead role of the Phantom in Andrew Lloyd Webber''s The Phantom of the Opera and the sequel Love Never Dies.
- Marina Nemat, Author.
- Reza Baraheni, novelist, poet, critic, and political activist.
- Hossein Amanat, Architect, Urban designer
- Fariborz Sahba, Architect
- Nazanin Afshin-Jam, Miss Canada 2003, 1st runner-up of Miss World 2003, actress, singer-songwriter, human rights activist, wife of Canadian Defence Minister Peter MacKay
- Ramona Amiri, Miss World Canada 2005, semifinalist of Miss World 2005
- Samantha Tajik, Miss Universe Canada 2008
- Sahar Biniaz, 2nd runner-up of Miss Tourism Queen International 2008, Miss Universe Canada 2012
- Hassan Khosrowshahi, founder of Future Shop
- Ghermezian family. Billionaire shopping mall developers
- Naft Club, Canadian Oil & Gas Professionals with Persian Heritage
- Omid Tahvili, kingpin and international fugitive
JournalismITC TV, one of Persian-language TV stations in Toronto
Various Persian-language media (including TV and newspapers) are active in Canada. Shahrvand and Salam Toronto are two of them which covers the local events as well.
- Farid Haerinejad, CBC former producer, Documentary Maker and current ِِEditor-In-Chief of Radio Zamaneh
- Zahra Kazemi, photojournalist
- Nikahang Kowsar, cartoonist
- Maziar Bahari, journalist
- Jian Ghomeshi, CBC broadcaster, writer, producer and musician
- Touka Neyestani, cartoonist
PoliticiansReza Moridi, Persian-born Canadian politician.
- Amir Khadir - Québec solidaire MNA for Mercier, microbiologist
- Reza Moridi - Ontario Liberal MPP for Richmond Hill, physicist, Engineer
Tags:Afshin, Beauty pageant, British, Canada, Canadian, Christianity, Columbia, French, Haji, Harvard, Hossein Amanat, Iran, Iranian, Islam, Jam, Jian, Judaism, Kurdish, Lloyd, MIT, MNA, Maziar, Maziar Bahari, Montreal, Olympic, Parviz, Persian, Phantom, Radio, Radio Zamaneh, Sanaz Mazinani, Toronto, Vancouver, Wikipedia, Zahra Kazemi, Zoroastrian